Perfect for that autumnal glut of homegrown apples. What better way to preserve and enjoy them than to make a chutney. Whether it be with cheese, pâté or cold meats, make some to keep and enjoy over the next few months. You could also make some & decorate the jars as presents for friends and family at Christmas. You choose; it's up to you.
1.5-2kg Cooking Apples, peeled and diced
750g Light muscovado sugar
2 Medium onions, finely chopped
10ml Mustard seeds
10ml Ground Ginger
700ml Cider vinegar
1. In a large, heavy based pan, combine all the ingredients.
2. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes, stirring frequently until thick & pulpy,
3. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for a while.
4. Decant into clean, sterilised jars and seal.
5. Store in a cool, dark place for 2-3 weeks for the flavours to develop fully before enjoying.