North Northamptonshire based food blogger who is obsessed with good food and proper cooking. I'm part of the Midlands Blogging team for the BBC Good Food Shows. This is where I share my own recipes and carry out recipe development and product reviews for brands, including food and wines. Please contact me using the link below.

Monday 27 May 2013

Olive oil, rosemary & lemon cake

This is not originally my own recipe, but one I found on the Olive Oil Times website which was contributed by Mooney Farms.  I have merely converted it to UK measurements and detailed the methodology.  All rights therefore must be gratefully passed back to the creators.


I was kindly given 3 bottles of OL Extra Virgin Olive Oils to try.  I chose to use their Organic oil to make this cake, as it has such a light, clean scent that I thought would be perfect for use in a cake as it wouldn't be overpowering and I'm glad to say, I was right! This oil gave the cake the perfect balance of moisture & flavour whilst letting the rosemary and lemons shine through.


385g Self raising flour
1 1/2tbs Fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2tsp Baking powder
1/2tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1/2tsp Salt
370g Granulated sugar
125ml Milk
2 Lemons, zested
60ml Lemon juice
1tsp Vanilla extract
3 Large eggs
150g Icing sugar
15ml Lemon juice

1. Heat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C.
2. Grease & base line a 22cm/9" springform tin.
3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, rosemary, baking powder, bi-carb and salt.
4. In a separate, medium sized bowl, place the sugar, olive oil, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla and eggs.
5. Whisk together using an electric beater until smooth.
6. Pour the liquid mix into the flour mix & whisk until smooth and light (approx. 2-3 minutes).
7. Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out cleanly.
8. Remove from the oven, but leave in the tin for 10 minutes.
9. Turn out onto a wire cooling rack and leave until cold.
10. For the icing, mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
11. Drizzle over the top of the cooled cake, allowing it to gently run over the edge & down the sides.
12. Decorate with a small sprig of fresh rosemary.
13. Serve in thin slices.





The oil was generously supplied to me by OL Extra Virgin Oils UK.  I was under no obligation to blog this recipe or to give a favourable review of their products.  The views are my own and are a genuine reflection of how I found their oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my site. If you cook any of my recipes yourself, then please remember to come back and let me know what you thought.

Thanks,

Rosie
x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...